WATCH YOUR MONEY GROW – INVESTMENTS, BANKING AND 5 MONTHS AT HOME (SERIES I – OUTDOORS, PART 1)

8:46 PM 8/5/06

It gives me no pleasure to be writing this today - I've left the ending scenes of LOR 3 and a whole range of Saturday matinee to force my eyes onto a computer screen. Maybe it was my mother's persistent nagging that drove me to my room.
Ever since I told her that I was going to end up being a writer sooner or later, she's been trying to squash my literary dreams. I tried to shut her up with a compilation of my notes. She dismissed them as commonplace and uninteresting, insignificant takes on everyday life that didn't amount to much. I tell her that my daily life is more sensational than the weekly media throw-up.

I crash-landed at home some bleary day in March. As the self-enforced vacation now draws to a end, I must look back at this opportunity to connect with my cynically aesthetic side - those long hours spend loitering in the wet rain, the frequent indulgence to my creative, arty, crafty side, the constant attempts tot understand human nature.
Though my now-relieved parents will insist that I'm the greatest couch potato ever born, I do find time to complete the occasional chores they throw at me – I even find time to indulge my inexplicable, unpredictable, apparently unrewarding cravings – from teaching my maid’s children to bowling to a wall for hours to scribbling over unsuspecting sheets of naked paper. Here’s a thought….

My father’s been trying to force monetary terms and processes into my mind for a long time now. Initially, I was game for it – money’s a sufficient lure. I even ‘worked’ with my dad’s investment agent for a couple of days.
I could not, however, bring myself to return on the 3rd day. Maybe because the work was too easy – too boring – too much of Maths. Maybe because the female colleague that I’d been promised wasn’t too – well – you know – I mean – all right, she was damn ugly.
My ‘employer’ is a good man – he better be – for he’s an agent, a Dalal, who’s paid for handling other people’s money. He was willing to hire me – maybe too willing (he even offered me an a.c. cabin) – for his business requires men of trust and he saw no risk in recruiting a well-off 20 year old – aimless, rich and the son of a thrifty client. ‘Rakh lo!’ To be honest, I was tempted into the money business – all you have to do is keep track of the markets, keep a good relationship with your innocent, trusting clients who have neither the time nor the inclination to keep track of their money. It’s quite interesting, actually and above all, rewarding!
Did I just say ‘interesting’? I remember calling it boring some time back – well, it’s boring if you have to do it day after day – the same stocks and shares ‘rising’ and ‘falling’ – the only difference being the colour and direction of the arrows accompanying them. You can also invest – banks, Post-offices, Mutual funds, PFs, NSCs – lots of tax saving options and stuff – I don’t want to discuss them here – would be an unfair tribute to my former employer – who divides his day between supervising a lazy staff and visiting clients to collect orders, passbooks, signed forms, cheques, cash and stuff (anyway, I’ve been avoiding him ever since I ran out on a promising career in ‘telling others how to multiply their money’ – he appeared disappointed at my immature decision to rather pursue a B.E. – Dhut! Dhut!)
My father wasn’t too disappointed, though – he made sure I kept visiting banks.
There are 2 kinds of banks – big and small. Big = huge buildings, excess of furniture and employees, terms like ‘can I help you’, high tech machinery, central air-conditioning and space – lots of space. Nothing for me there – bast**ds charge you 85 Rs. for an account statement!
The smaller branches of some Govt. banks – now you have something there!

Case study --- the colour of money – tinged with brown.


Location - Bank of India, Ulyan branch.
Observation period – actually, I’ve been going there for years but it’s only for the 5-6 hours I’ve spent there this week that I’ve appreciated its presence in my trivial existence.

No army of smartly dressed security guards to open the door for you – the lone guard stands calmly in a corner, ready to answer any queries you have – he looks kindly at you, not suspecting the poor earthly souls who wander in.
To your – sorry, my left is the manager’s cabin where – um – where is he? Maybe that kind-looking fellow at the back – appears to be busy with a few prospective account holders and a heap of documents that require his signature. I don’t know him.
I doubt if anyone knows me here – and I’ve spent endless hours here – enjoyed most of it too.
I proceed to the 2 counters at the back of the room, further to the right – I make my familiar way past the crowd at the withdrawal counter with some difficulty. Everyone’s too busy to pay me any attention – something I don’t particularly enjoy - they are busy engaging the bank officer. I take my position in the small queue at the DEPOSIT counter. The Bengali officer behind the counter acknowledges my entry with a cool ‘hello’.
He doesn’t seem to be in too much of a hurry – something I really don’t mind. As he proceeds to examine the currency in his receptive hands, I begin the day’s work…

People around me curse the officer under their breaths as I oblige any harrowed parents who turn up to deposit school fees – my friend (the Bengali?) takes his time to deposit the few hundred that they have to grudgingly offer.
It’s a Saturday – half a workday = double the impatience, double the frustration – now, you don’t want to mess with a Govt. officer! Yet, you also can’t stand in a queue (well, it’s supposed to be that) all day. Especially when the officer takes a few seconds to sip a cup of tea or stretch his limbs.

Meanwhile (as the officer enters into a quick chito-chat with the revered local priest – something about dates and ladoos, offerings and the decline in our religiousness – the cornered man of faith chooses to be diplomatic – “Ishwar sabka bhala kare…”. I asked him if he could tell his boss to give my application a push.) I take a moment to analyse the turbulent crowd.
It’s as varied and diverse as a Mumbai local train rush – only if it could be that united. I see teenagers, nervously clutching the forms in their hands and nearly crushing the bundled noted in their pockets. I try to offer them my help, as kind and as offhand as applicable.
There are older lads, apparently professionals – cheerful, knowledgeable and looking to engage the willing bankizen into conversation - all the time making their adept, shrewd way up the queue. They are the banker’s familiar delight – warm greetings are exchanged along with Mandi rates and the banker’s woes.
There are no girls here – no babes, no behenjis – nothing – justifying the lack of mathematics in their heads. The already frustrated opposite sex is left craving for those rare figures that make sense everywhere.
There are middle-aged women, though – largely unsure of their purpose here – probably preoccupied with preparations for arguments with their lazy husbands back home – who’ve shamelessly cited work as an excuse to put their tender halves to this madness. Not to mention missing re-runs of their favourite shows (it’s a Saturday, remember?)! All that when they can’t differentiate between a cheque-deposit form and a withdrawal slip (some of them can’t even sign with a steady hand!)!
There are also businessmen with their Current Accounts, eager to get back to their shops and with little time to consider their fellow bankizens – I ignore them.

As people around me begin to wriggle through with opportunistic dashes, indifferent shrugs and wails of desperate excuses, I allow myself to be pushed by some, convinced by some – some I pity, much to the resentment of the others behind me – and the others I either ignore or brush aside.
Sometimes, I join in the frustrations of the crowd, voicing their opinions; rarely do I let my spirits lose – I don’t take anyone to take me seriously – with my studious look, natural squeak and emotions too preoccupied to be provoked. I can be tough when I want to but I guess I’m too lazy to pick a fight. So I prefer to play dumb – and I’m pretty good at that.
It doesn’t work on my Bengali (sorry I’ve to subject him to that address but I don’t know his name yet) friend, though – for he takes about 15-20 min. to examine my 500s and 1000s. He doesn’t like the 1000s at all – when he’s done examining them through the light of a lamp, he proceeds to subject the Father of the nation to Ultraviolet Radiation! (I bet he has a bite or two on the sly). Only when the notes satisfy the Government’s genuineness specifications, the bank officer’s expectations and my perspiration(s, made unbearable by the fact that I hadn’t had a bath in – let’s just say ‘some time’) – are they cleared for deposit.
I leave Mr. B. with a smile and more notes to scrutinise.

The rest of the bank isn’t much – interesting, i.e. Some 3-4 officers, sharing 2 computers, a printer and staff to pass around. As they continue to offload files, customer complaints and responsibilities onto the nearest reluctant shoulder available, I leave the bank with a heavy sigh – there are still some DDs to make before I leave for Bangalore.
Someone tells me that the bank will now be open from 8 to 8 – before I can digest that, the clock signals noon with joined hands and I hurry back to my comfortable sofa and T.V. set – more on that another time.

Keep Blogging. Keep Loving. Keep Smiling.

- Lohit Gupta.

P.S. – It took me nearly 44.5 hours to transfer this from my head to my diary to my tedious screen to my blog. How long does it take you people?

Comments

Popular Posts